Ukraine Head of Finance
Base: Uzhhorod (Zakarpattia) with the possibility of the change of base to Kiev or Lviv
Duration: 12 months with 3 months of probation period, possibility of extension after 12 months upon available funding
Salary: from 2000 EUR + per diems depending on the candidate’s classification
ABOUT PEOPLE IN NEED SLOVAKIA
About PIN SK:
People in Need (PIN) Slovakia is a Slovak non-profit organization, providing direct support to those who suffer the consequences of war, to victims of natural disasters, or those living in poverty on the margins of society. PIN SK was founded 1999 by a group of journalists moved by their experience of the devastating consequences of the conflict in Kosovo on civilians and has since then been providing humanitarian and development assistance worldwide. Currently, PIN Slovakia is one of the major humanitarian actors in Slovakia responding the Ukraine crisis both in Slovakia and across border in Ukraine.
For more information, please refer to: https://clovekvohrozeni.sk/people-in-need-slovakia/
General context in Ukraine:
PIN SK has been present in Ukraine since the tragic events in Kiev’s Maidan in February 2014 when PIN SK contributed to medical efforts and evacuation of civilians from combat zones. PIN SK continued project-based response in Ukraine through Shelter, WASH, Protection and MHPSS programming until February 24th, 2022 when the full-scale war started. PIN SK, from the first days, helped people fleeing the war – first at the borders and gradually inside Ukraine. Since the beginning of the invasion, PIN SK has provided the assistance worth more than €7,000,000 and helped more than 200,000 people in Ukraine and Slovakia.
Currently PIN SK team in Ukraine consists of around 70 staff, operating in Zakarpatia Oblast providing Protection, Shelter and MHPSS assistance to internally displaced persons (IDPs) and their host communities.
Purpose of the position
The Head of Finance supervises the finance and accounting team of the PIN SK Ukraine Country Programme. S/he is responsible for overall Financial Management, including planning and budgeting, accounting, treasury, financial controls, reporting. S/he ensures overall compliance with internal and donors’ policy and quality requirements, international accounting and financial standards, as well as local legislation and donor regulations.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Finance and Accounting
- Develop financial policies and procedures according to international standards, legislations, PIN SK policies and donors’ requirements and ensure that they are followed within finance department and other departments involved in finance;
- Fulfil all financial reporting requirements for internal and external stakeholders, including timely and precise accounting, perform standard month-end and year-end closing activities;
- Work in close cooperation with PIN SK HQ, following technical guidance as well as seeking timely support or advice when necessary.
- Ensure that effective systems are put in place, and regularly reviewed, to allow adequate financial management and control of:
- Project expenditures and approved budgets;
- Ensure correct documentation for annual audits and tax audits;
- Country Programme and shared-program cost budgeting and reporting;
- Accounting and management information systems;
- Cash and cash-flow management, including bank accounts and currency exchange rate monitoring (to be developed);
- Expenditure procedures (to be developed), especially around procurement;
- Document controls and procedures;
- Support the financial management system of partners through training and capacity building;
- Review financial systems, policies, procedures of local partners regarding donor compliance;
- Oversee preparation of accurate and timely annual statutory financial statements for submission to local authorities;
- Coordinate internal and external audits and audit follow-up.
Budgeting and Planning
- Assist the Country Director in the management of PIN SK resources and projects through:
- Formulation of cost allocations of shared costs;
- Allocation of resources to support activities;Providing effective support and guidance to the program staff and the management team during planning and allocation exercises;
- Monitoring implementation of donor agreements and resource utilization;
- Highlighting variances between planned allocations and usage, provide analyses and recommend resolution or reallocation of resources.
- Prepare Country Programme annual budget as well as project budgets in cooperation with Country Director, PIN SK Programme and Operations Teams;
- Work with the Programme Team to submit timely and accurate financial reporting to the donors;
- Identify and effectively manage financial risks. Develop and implement mitigation measures;
- Develop and track master budget to ensure proper coverage of all budget lines;
- Provide accurate information and oversee budget development for new proposals;
- Support the Programme Team and Partners to meet funding needs, including the diversification of funding sources;
- Ensure project budget holders understand and fulfil their responsibilities.
- Ensure that all donors’ requirements are appropriately implemented as stated in project agreement;
- Ensure that PIN SK’s internal finance management policies are adhered to;
- Optimize the use of resources in the country office so as to make operations as cost-effective as possible;
- To closely cooperate with Logistics and Procurement as well as with HR Teams to make sure that all the documents for financial reporting have a desired quality and meet reporting requirements.
Staff Management and Development
- Ensure that the Finance Team is correctly staffed;
- Ensure that the Finance Team understands its responsibilities and are able to perform their roles;
- Manage the finance team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly;
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process. Establish result-based system and follow up.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Higher education (master) suitable for the position in the finance related field;
- At least 2 years’ field experience in operating in a complex organization;
- Experience with financial project management and compliance with various institutional donors;
- Minimum 2 years of management experience in a corporate or an INGO environment, including development and implementation of strategic and operational support services;
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize a substantial workload that includes complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities;
- Experience in audit preparation and audit support, experience in taxation, tax declaration and tax audits;
- Analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities;
- Strictly respect deadlines. Anticipate and communicate on potential roadblocks and how to solve them;
- Competent level skills in core IT applications, particularly Microsoft 365;
- Strong representation and negotiation skills;
- Advanced oral and written communication skills;
- Fluency in English required, Ukrainian/Russian/Slovak will be considered as an asset.
„People in Need is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct and committed to promoting the welfare of children and adults with whom.
People in Need expects all staff to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need code of conduct and key policies.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.“
People in Need Slovakia offers:
- Salary from 2000 EUR gross/month based on your experience and PIN SK’s salary scale (for full time);
- Per diems 37 EUR/day depending on the classification of personnel;
- Housing allowance depending on the classification of personnel;
- Travel health insurance for Ukraine;
- Opportunities for learning, trainings and capacity development;
- 30 days of paid leave annually; additional 3 sick days;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Active participation in PIN SK growth and development as one of the biggest Slovak humanitarian responders in Ukraine
Interested candidates are invited to apply by sending the CV and short motivation latter to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email „Head of Finance UA“.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for first interview.
Please note: due to the urgency to fill the post, the recruitment will be done on the rolling basis and PIN SK reserves the right to recruit before the deadline.
Pozn. Zaslaním vášho životopisu zároveň dávate súhlas so spracovaním a uchovaním vašich osobných údajov uvedených v životopise za účelom výberu kandidátov v súlade so zákonom 122/2013 Z.z.